Saturday, June 13, 2009

An inspiring tale: Tommy Finds an Angel

I could swear that I have heard this story before, but re-reading it today gave me the inspiration I needed. It's on Beliefnet and it's about an atheist who found God after getting cancer, which forced him to reconcile with his family.

It drives home the point to me that, although the professor had tried to get a message through to Tommy, seemingly in vain, it was not until he let go that God was really able to work. Then, it was Tommy's concerted effort and subsequent surrender that led him to where God ultimately wanted him: to reach out with love and humility to those closest to him.

With man it is impossible, but anything is possible with God.

I hope that I can be an instrument for people who are seeking even though, ironically, I often feel like I am continuously in search of Him too. Somehow, when I see people that need it, I am able to speak of faith and its value and truth. Maybe because in my own human and egoist view, it all sounds silly. But when I see someone in a weakened state, it forces me to humble myself to the Truth of our condition that goes far beyond my own understanding.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.
-Proverbs 3:5-6


-Story via Susan Gregg on Beliefnet

No comments: